Friday, April 3, 2009

Caramel apples

During my visit to the Seaport Village, San Diego I bought & ate a "caramel apple". Having never seen such a thing before, I innocently asked the cashier if there's really an apple inside that peanut coated spherical object? :) (They call something "Mysore bajji", when there's no Mysore inside the bajji - I know, a really poor PJ :) ) Thankfully, she didn't put any crazy look and answered "yes, there is" with a smile. This is basically an apple coated with caramel and topped with crushed peanuts. Whosoever came up with this idea, What an innovative thought! There were a line of apples coated with chocolate, caramel, cream, etc etc. A real treat to watch them. I don't usually take snaps inside stores/restaurants. I so wish I did. 

This is what it looked like:
 





Yummy, it tasted! The apple was a little sour though. Had that been a really good one, I can't imagine how much more taste it would have added. Can be made at home too, all you need is a sweet apple, some caramel and anything else to decorate it - put on your creative hat! Stick around, I'll post another picture when I make one in my kitchen.

4 comments:

lafemmereva

That is a good idea Manju!!!! Me will also make at home...There is a caramel dip available to be had with apples, I usually have that!

Manjusha

@ Revathi,

I'm sure you'll enjoy eating the "actual" caramel apple. Its lot more exciting than the dip.

lafemmereva

:( we don't have the good firtune of being in the bay area manju :( so me has to wait I guess!! what did you cook this day? My friend and I check your blogs on weekends to get some ideas :)

Manjusha

@ Revathi,

We are not in the bay area anymore :( Haven't cooked anything exciting this weekend so far, as my fridge is out of groceries :) Got to re-fill it before I try something new.

Inspired cooking   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP